Family Beach Sessions – Portrait Ideas
From May – September I am on the beach several times a week shooting family sessions. I love the open skies and beautiful scenes that beach shooting allows. We are so fortunate to live near the ocean. The sound of the waves, the warm sand under my feet, the salty ocean breeze – I love it all! Shooting at the beach offers a unique set of challenges. It can be tough to manage a session with the bright, often hazy, light, the sand and wind, not to mention all that salt water, which can wreak havoc on equipment. But, the rewards far outweigh the challenges in my opinion. I love capturing family moments by the shore and some of my all time favorite sessions were shot on the beach. Here is a quick round up of some fun portrait ideas for family beach sessions:
A few tips to get to most out of your family beach session:
- Plan your wardrobe well in advance and coordinate 3-4 colors for the group. Layers and clothes that move with you are ideal. Check with your photographer for tips or recommendations.
- Bring a fun activity for the family. The best expressions come from natural interaction. Fly a kite, bring a small picnic, play catch, search for beach treasures, get everyone involved in some good old fashioned family fun.
- If your kids take naps, plan accordingly and try to let them rest before your session, which will take place at sunset. Make sure they eat a good meal before your appointment and bring a mess-free snack to stave off any "hangries." A bottle of water is a good idea too for a quick drink and for rinsing sandy hands.
- Wrangling a group to dress for photos is never easy. Try to start the process early in case of last minute issues or delays, and do your best to keep it stress free. You want your family to be excited for the experience. The best laid plans can fall apart, so approach it with a positive attitude and try to be flexible. This should be a fun evening of family memory making. If you are excited, your kids are more likely to cooperate and be excited too. If things start to go awry, a little humor goes a long way in keeping your sanity.
- Lastly, be prepared to have fun! Your family means the world to you. This is the time to focus on those relationships. Shower them with love. Walking hand in hand, big bear hugs, swinging, dancing, exploring, splashing, and giggles are what family beach session are all about. Free your mind of the everyday pressures of life and use this time to really connect with those you hold most dear. You won't regret it. Promise. And you'll have beautiful images of those memories to look back on for years to come.
If you enjoyed this post please share it!
If you are in the Hampton Roads, VA area and would like to schedule your unique beach portrait experience, contact us today: firstname.lastname@example.org
On location Lifestyle Portrait and Wedding Photographer
Melissa Bliss Photography – Authentic Stories in Beautiful Timeless Photographs
Virginia Beach, VA Photographers, Hampton Roads Photographers, Sandbridge Beach Photographers, beach portraits, beach photo session ideas, beach photography